Published 01/11/2016 00:00:00 in Press Releases

“The NMDA is pleased to see that this year’s Autumn 2016 Dealer Attitude Survey received a response rate of 33%. Over the last few years there has been a view that brands with a low percentage of dealer responses have not necessarily been representative of the views of that network, and could skew the results either way. Therefore, in this survey, we have decided to suppress the results of three brands that had less than 15% of their dealers completing the survey.” commented Stephen Latham, Head of the National Motorcycle Dealers Association (NMDA).

“Participants in this survey were made up of 83% of Independent Dealers, and 17% privately owned groups. 60% were single brand dealers whist the remainder of 40% were multi-franchises.

The NMDA Autumn 2016 Dealer Attitude Survey, published today (Tuesday 1 November 2016), shows that the all dealer average when asked about the overall value of the franchise improved 0.2 points to 6.8 since the last survey in spring 2016.

  • Harley Davidson, KTM and Triumph were recorded as the top 3 franchises.
  • The least valued franchises by respondents were Piaggio Group, Suzuki and Ducati.

The dealer/manufacturer relationship score average remained the same as in the last survey in spring 2015.

  • The partnership dealers have with their manufacturer scored an all dealer average of 3.4
  • Ducati dealers were more dissatisfied with the partnership they have with their manufacturer having reported a score of 2.4 since the last survey (where they scored 3.3) and fall to 9th position in the ratings chart.
  • Harley Davidson remained as the top scoring dealer with a score of 4.6 - down 0.2 points from last year.

Dealer profit and future profitability remained static in this survey from spring 2015

  • When rating the profit return by representing their franchise, the all dealer average remained at 3.2
  • Harley Davidson and Triumph were recorded as the top 2 franchises.
  • When asked about the future profitability of their business the all dealer average remained at 3.4
  • Again, Harley Davidson and Triumph were recorded as the top 2 franchises.

Latham continued, “The average score across all questions was 3.3, unchanged from the last survey. Overall this suggests that dealers are fairly satisfied with the business relationship they have with their manufacturer.

“Dealers are on average most satisfied with the image of the brands they represent and products they sell. This suggests that dealers are brand patriotic and confident in how the consumer views their manufacturer.

“The business relationship with manufactures is on average most strained in the issue of target negotiations and the standards required given the returns dealers receive. These issues along with the relatively low scoring question of manufacture management taking dealers views into account suggest that dialog could be improved.”



NOTES TO EDITORS: Please click here to download a coppy of the NMDA Autumn 2016 Dealer Attitude Survey Results

Rupal Rawal, Press Officer
Tel: 020 7307 3412
Mob: 07528 977 157
Press Office direct line: 020 7307 3422
Press Office fax: 020 7307 3406

Web: www.rmif.co.uk Email: rupal.rawal@rmif.co.uk

The Retail Motor Industry represents the interests of operators in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man providing sales and services to motorists and businesses. The RMI has a formal association with the independent Scottish Motor Trade Association which represents the retail motor industry in Scotland.

Back to Articles
Back to Articles


This site uses cookies. Some cookies are essential to ensure our website works for you in the best possible way. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, click here to see our cookie statement.