Members Login

NMDA dealer attitude survey spring 2017 results revealed

NMDA 09/05/2017

“The NMDA is pleased to see that this year’s Spring 2017 Dealer Attitude Survey received a response rate of 32%. Participants in this survey were made up of 74% of independently owned franchise dealers, and 24% privately owned groups. 58% were single brand dealer’s whist the remainder of 42% were multi-franchised.” commented Stephen Latham, Head of the National Motorcycle Dealers Association (NMDA).

The NMDA Spring 2017 Dealer Attitude Survey, published today (Tuesday 9 May 2017), shows that the all dealer average when asked about the overall value of the franchise remained static at 6.8 since the last survey in Autumn 2016.

Harley Davidson, Triumph and KTM were recorded as the top 3 franchises.
The least valued franchises by respondents were Piaggio Group, Honda and Ducati.

The dealer/manufacturer relationship score average remained the same as in the last survey in Autumn 2016.

The partnership dealers have with their manufacturer scored an all dealer average of 3.4

Piaggio Group dealers were more dissatisfied with the partnership they have with their manufacturer having reported a score of 2.3 since the last survey (where they scored 2.5) and fall to 9th position in the ratings chart.

Triumph was the top scoring dealer with a score of 4.2 - up 0.3 points from last year.
Dealer profit and future profitability remained static in this survey from Autumn 2016.
When rating the profit return by representing their franchise, the all dealer average remained at 3.2

Triumph, Harley Davidson and KTM were recorded as the top 3 franchises.
When asked about the future profitability of their business the all dealer average remained at 3.4

Again, Harley Davidson, KTM and Triumph were recorded as the top 3 franchises.

Latham continued, “The average score across all questions was 3.3, unchanged from the last survey. Overall this suggests that dealers are fairly satisfied with the business relationship they have with their manufacturer.

“Dealers are on average most satisfied with the image of the brands they represent and products they sell. This suggests that dealers are brand patriotic and confident in how the consumer views their manufacturer.

“With the declines in scores for certain key questions, there is still scope with certain manufacturers to develop their relationships with their dealer networks as some still fall well below average in many areas of the survey.”

< See other press releases


About the RMI

The Retail Motor Industry represents the interests of operators in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man providing sales and services to motorists and businesses. The RMI has a formal association with the independent Scottish Motor Trade Association which represents the retail motor industry in Scotland.