Members Login

NMDA Dealer Attitude Survey Spring 2019 Results Revealed

NMDA 13/05/2019

“The NMDA is encouraged to see that this year’s Spring 2019 Dealer Attitude Survey received a response rate of 23% made up of ten main brands. Participants in this survey were made up of 75% of independently owned franchise dealers, and 23% privately owned groups. 67% were single brand dealer’s whist the remainder of 33% were multi-franchised.” commented Stephen Latham, Head of the National Motorcycle Dealers Association (NMDA).

The NMDA Spring 2019 Dealer Attitude Survey, published today (Monday 13 May 2019), shows that the all dealer average when asked about the overall value of the franchise remained static at 6.2 since the last survey in Autumn 2018

  • Ducati, Triumph and Honda were recorded as the top 3 franchises

  • The least valued franchises by respondents were Piaggio Group, KTM and Yamaha

When asked about their ability to do business with their manufacturer on a day-to-day basis, the score average declined by -0.4 since the last survey

  • The partnership dealers have with their manufacturer scored an all dealer average of 3.2

  • Piaggio Group dealers were the most dissatisfied for a second year in a row with the partnership they have with their manufacturer, having reported a score of 2.1 since the last survey (where they scored 3.0) and fall to 10th position in the ratings chart

  • BMW and Ducati were the top scoring dealers with a score of 4.0, knocking Harley Davidson off the top of the ratings chart 

Dealer profit and future profitability both declined in this survey from Autumn 2018

  • When rating the profit return by representing their franchise, the all dealer average went down by -0.2 points from 2.8 to 2.6

  • Ducati, Triumph and Honda were recorded as the top 3 franchises

  • When asked about the future profitability of their business, the all dealer average went down by -0.1 points from 3.0 to 2.9

  • Ducati, Triumph, Suzuki and Honda (Jointly) were recorded as the top 4 franchises

Latham continued, “Overall the survey suggests that dealers are fairly satisfied with the business relationship they have with their manufacturer. The two manufacturers who saw their scores across all questions improve were BMW and Ducati. Both saw a significant increase and stood out as the only manufacturers making positive progress in the eyes of their dealers.   

“Dealers are on average most satisfied with the image of the brands they represent and products they sell. This suggests that dealers are brand patriotic and confident in how the consumer views their manufacturer. Particularly, dealers were satisfied with brand and product image, and warranty policy and time allowances.

“With the declines in scores for certain key questions, there is still scope with certain manufacturers to develop their relationships with their dealer networks as some still fall well below average in many areas of the survey.”

< See other press releases

• Due to differing levels of participation from motorcycle dealers taking part in the NMDA survey, we have decided to eliminate the restriction of a minimum 15% brand participation from this survey and all future surveys. 

• Overall the survey has been well supported by most brands and manufacturers therefore we believe it would be unfair to restrict the input from some dealers who participate in the survey, even if in small numbers. 

• In this spring survey we are pleased to include all the main ten brands but must ask that readers give caution to the high Ducati score as the responses came from just 2 dealers completing the survey. Overall the survey participation represented 23% of dealers.

About the RMI

The Retail Motor Industry represents the interests of operators in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man providing sales and services to motorists and businesses. The RMI has a formal association with the independent Scottish Motor Trade Association which represents the retail motor industry in Scotland.