Members Login

NMDA dealer attitude survey spring 2018 results revealed

NMDA 14/05/2018

“The NMDA is pleased to see that this year’s Spring 2018 Dealer Attitude Survey received a response rate of 28%. Participants in this survey were made up of 90% of independently owned franchise dealers, and 10% privately owned groups. 53% were single brand dealer’s whist the remainder of 47% were multi-franchised,” commented Stephen Latham, Head of the National Motorcycle Dealers Association (NMDA).

The NMDA Spring 2018 Dealer Attitude Survey, published today (Monday 14 May 2018), shows that the all dealer average when asked about the overall value of the franchise remained static at 6.3 since the last survey in Autumn 2017.

  • Harley Davidson, KTM and Kawasaki were recorded as the top 3 franchises
  • The least valued franchises by respondents were Piaggio Group and Suzuki

The dealer/manufacturer relationship score average improved by 0.2 since the last survey in Autumn 2017.

  • The partnership dealers have with their manufacturer scored an all dealer average of 3.5
  • Harley Davidson was the top scoring dealer with a score of 4.4, however still down 0.4 points from last year

Dealer profit declined by 0.1 points and future profitability remained static in this survey from Autumn 2017.

  • When rating the profit return by representing their franchise, the all dealer average declined to 2.9
  • Harley Davidson, KTM and Kawasaki were recorded as the top 3 franchises
  • When asked about the future profitability of their business the all dealer average remained at 3.1
  • Again, Harley Davidson, KTM and Kawasaki were recorded as the top 3 franchises

Latham continued, “Overall this year’s Spring survey suggests that dealers are fairly satisfied with the business relationship they have with their manufacturer. Harley Davidson scored particularity well across most questions, and it was interesting to see that although Piaggio Group’s score increased significantly across the majority of questions, they were still rated as the least valued motorcycle franchise overall.

“Dealers are on average most satisfied with the image of the brands they represent and products they sell. This suggests that dealers are brand patriotic and confident in how the consumer views their manufacturer.

“With the declines in scores for certain key questions, there is still scope with certain manufacturers to develop their relationships with their dealer networks as some still fall well below average in many areas of the survey.”

< See other press releases

Notes to Editors:

About the RMI

The Retail Motor Industry represents the interests of operators in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man providing sales and services to motorists and businesses. The RMI has a formal association with the independent Scottish Motor Trade Association which represents the retail motor industry in Scotland.